Welcome to the Ecumenical Benedictine Oblate.

You are welcome here as Christ.
I hope we will create a meeting space here, gathering resources that will:
--enrich our lives,
--build our sense of Benedictine community,
--deepen our spiritual journeys, and
--stimulate meaningful conversation.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Testing the Blog Concept for Benedictine Community

So you were invited to "Test the Blog Concept" with me.  Thank you for looking at this site.  I hope that we share an interest in Benedictine Community.  Living some distance from the monastery, I find it difficult to stay in touch with others who share my Benedictine intentions.

How do you think we might encourage each other?  
Are you interested in discussing the Rule?  
If so, then we might read selections from Joan Chittister's  web site.  The link is listed under "Some Links of Interest to Benedictines" in the left column of this blog.

I hope that we find a way to encourage one another in our daily ordinary lives.  I also hope that you will share your hopes about using this blog for connection, discussion, study, or  prayer.

About confidentiality and privacy.  Even though I can't find this site without the exact URL link, it is currently functionally open to anyone.  
The option exists to limit access to "up to 100 readers" and "100 authors" to make a private blog for a small reflection, prayer, or study group.  I welcome your comments on private verses public. 

So explore,  comment, subscribe, follow...and tell me what you think. 

Peace and Blessings,
Deanne Gibbs-Brown, Oblate S.B.


4 comments:

  1. It let me in directly from your email. I'm curious to see where this comment will go when I post it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen L I have to choose whether comments show up in a pop up window or embedded below the post. Either way a person has to click on the comment to read posts.
    I had a setting to moderate comments which creates a delay. I'll change that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, I have comments on public vs. private for this excellent blog! Please, please keep it public and use Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to have it more easily found. I feel badly that I just found it tonight.

    The reasons for keeping a Benedictine spirituality/oblate blog public are perhaps unnecessary to list — I am sure you know them all — so, it seems the question is what is the greatest good that should be sought in a blog like this. I think in the area of Benedictine spirituality, the greatest good that should be pursued is making it as easy as possible for people who are looking into a more monastic life to be able to find as many sites as possible on this important subject. That greatest good seems to me best achieved by a public blog.

    A private blog gives less benefits toward that “greatest good” in my view. And any need for private activities should be able to be handled in a better way than depriving those seeking a deeper spiritual life from being able to find this blog in the first place.

    Of course, the decision is all yours, I am just glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to sharing, as I too, am a distance from other oblates. It is always a special treasure to be able to communicate on a more regular basis.
    In addition to sharing about the Rule, I would also like to share about other readings. For example, I am currently reading "A New Heart: Eleven Qualities of Holiness" by Robert Morneau. It is a daily reading/reflection. This week is week nine; A Heart of Kindness That I May Emulate Thee! The week is centered on the different ways of kindness and how we can accomplish them.
    I like the one suggested action: " Refuse to multi-task. Do what you are doing. Do not practice 'elsewhere.'"
    Something to think about.
    Selma

    ReplyDelete

Your conversation about Ecumenical Benedictine Spiritual Experience is welcome.

About Deanne, Obl.S.B.

My photo
Illinois, United States

Benedictine Book List:

  • -Wisdom Distilled from the Daily, by Joan Chittister
  • -The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages, by Joan Chittister
  • -The Monastic Journey, by Thomas Merton
  • -The Gift of Years: Growing Older Gracefully, By Joan Chittister
  • -The Cloister Walk, by Kathleen Norris
  • -St. Benedict's Toolbox: The Nuts and Bolts of Everyday Benedictine Living, by Jane Tomaine
  • -Radical Hospitality: Benedict's way of love, by Daniel Homan, OSB & Lonni Collins Pratt
  • -Dakota, by Kathleen Norris
  • -Benedictine Daily Prayer: A Short Breviary, Compiled and Edited by Maxwell T. Johnson, Oblate of St. John's Abbey, and the Monks of St. John's Abbey
  • -Amazing Grace: A Vocabulary of Faith, by Kathleen Norris
  • -A Life-giving Way, by Esther de Waal